Monday, December 13, 2010

It Is Not Cold in South Florida

I was born and raised in South Florida. The truth is there are different seasons of the year in So Fla than anywhere else on the east coast. There is hot, really freaking hot, dying of heat stroke hot and too cold to go to the beach unless you are from Canada (which is an average in the 60's).

I started to migrate 'north' when I attended college in Gainesville, FL at the University of Florida (Go Gators!).

Summers were actually hotter in the northern part of the state, mostly due to the lack of breeze from the coast, but winters actually required a coat (I'm talking the coldest nights were in the 20's). This was a bit of a culture shock to me as the heaviest item of clothing I owned was a sweatshirt. I finally got used to having one week of freezing cold weather (and no snow) when I finished college. However, I was not interested in living in So Fla - I wanted to move to Atlanta, GA which I knew of as Hotlanta at the time (we Atlantans do not use this term EVER), so inclement weather never crossed my mind.

My first winter in Atlanta consisted of one night where we had snow flurries for about 10 minutes, at which time I was out at a bar. I decided to run outside and twirl in the snow, because isn't that what everyone does? I finally got used to every winter getting progressively colder and with more snow (last year we actually had a three inch snow storm, which is crazy for Atlanta). As I sit bundled up on my couch and type this post, it is less than 20 degrees outside with the windchill in the teens, and that is freaking cold! Even my dog doesn't want to go outside in her sweater.


Please don't make me go outside in the cold mom!
However, one thing I will never get used to is my friends and family complaining about how cold it is in So Fla. I'm sorry, but 40 degrees at 7am isn't cold when it warms up to 70 degrees by noon. And I'm sorry that you don't have a peacoat (unless you migrated south from New York and never gave your coat to Goodwill), but I know most of you have ski clothing that you can use but would rather not for the sake of fashion. Here's a thought, just pile on two sweatshirts and turn on the heat in your car (that's the red area on the A/C or anything above 76 degrees) and suck it up. But please, for goodness sake, stop complaining on Facebook that it is freezing down there! Mom, dad, Facebook friends, Snowbirds - if you want to experience cold, go to Canada, or even just Atlanta!

And just because I care, here is a picture of snow so that every time it snows in Atlanta or anywhere else in the world, you don't have to ask people to post pictures for you to see. Enjoy your palm trees, flip flops and year round tans.

1 comment: