Thursday, December 9, 2010

Saved by the Bell - The Inconsistent Years

It is no secret that I love Saved by the Bell. In fact, I watch it every morning on TBS while getting ready for work. It has gotten to the point where I can tell you which episode is on based on the first 2 lines or even just by the first camera shot. It is a sad, but true superpower.

As much as I love this cheesy show from my youth, there is one thing that really irks me - the inconsistency of the writing. I have decided that there is enough ammo to use for this to become a frequent topic of discussion. So today will be the first installment of Saved by the Bell - The Inconsistent Years.

This morning, one of my all time favorite episodes was on. It was the one where Jessie takes caffeine pills to stay awake and obsessively study for a geometry exam in order to fulfill her dream of getting accepted to the prestigious Stansbury College. We all know this episode by what may be the most memorable line ever from any Saved by the Bell episode; Jessie's neurotic cry out of the famous Pointer Sister's song I'm So Excited - "I'm so excited, I'm so excited, I'm so... scared!" (View this award-wining scene here.)

While this episode is pure genius in its catchy and memorable ways, there is one inconsistency that irks me every time I watch it. At the beginning of the episode, Jessie exclaims that she wants to go to Stansbury. However, about halfway through the episode, she says, "but I need to pass this test if I ever want to get into Stanford." Oops! Looks like someone took the day off from writing that day...

I give the episode an A+, but give the writer a C- for not remembering that Standford clearly didn't give any rights for Peter Engel's crew to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment