Monday, February 14, 2011

My Dislike for the Hallmark Holiday on February 14th

I make it no secret that I am not a fan of Valentine's Day. Never have been, never will. There are certain holidays that Hallmark has ruined for society, and Valentine's Day definitely takes the cake. Where should I begin?

To me, people shouldn't be told when to go out and buy their significant other flowers, candy, and presents to express their love. Little gestures should come every day of the year and shouldn't feel forced or pressured. And those items that society is telling you to purchase are always twice the price if you buy them around Valentine's Day versus the rest of the year. And talk about the struggle and pressure to get a dinner reservation. Why is there so much pressure to get a reservation on a Monday night with a select menu double the normal price? I think it's more romantic to do a nice dinner on a random night when your sig other isn't expecting it. Spontaneity and surprise are a bigger turn on, in my opinion.  

More like unnecessary
When you think of the god of love, do you honestly think that a fat grown man wearing a diaper and carrying a weapon is appropriate? Just saying...

I also hate how all of my single friends are reminded that they do not have anyone at this moment in their lives to celebrate with. I think that it puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on society for people to be in a relationship. You are supposed to grow the most as a person when you are independent and alone. Instead of making this day all about the love you have for your sig other, we should make it a reminder of how much love we are surrounded by from our family and friends and not focus so much on the relationship aspect. That's why the only part of this holiday that I look forward to is receiving a gift card from my dad with a cute card. This year, I got a gift card to Subway, which is WAY better than any box of fattening chocolates!

I am very pleased that the fiance and I are on the same page with this holiday. In fact, we share a poem with each other that used to hang on our refrigerator regarding this holiday. Let me share it with you:

Anti-Valentines Day Poem
 Hearts and roses and kisses galore,
What the hell is all that shit for?
People get mushy and start acting queer,
It is definitely the most annoying day of the year.
This day needs to get the hell over with and pass,
Before I shove something up Cupid's ass.
I'll spend the day so drunk I can't speak
And wear black for the rest of the week.
Guys act all sweet, but soon it will fade,
For all they are doing is trying to get laid.
The arrow Cupid shot at me must not have hit,
Cause I think this love thing is a crock of shit.
So, here's my story... what else can I say?
Love bites my ass... Fuck Valentines Day!
This was the illustration we displayed with the poem on our fridge

Happy Hallmark Day of Love to everyone who celebrates!

No comments:

Post a Comment