Thursday, March 10, 2011

Stupid Sh*t I've Done in the Past: Wrong Crowd

We all have done a lot of stupid shit in our youth. Whether we admit it or not, our parents typically knew what was right and wrong for us. However, we had to do some really stupid things in order to learn for ourselves.

When I was in grade school I was definitely not a saint by any means. One of the biggest midtakes I made was hanging out with some coworkers from the restaurant I worked at for two years while in high school. I was a nice Jewish girl who was on track to get good grades in school and go to college, which I did. However, the servers at my place of business were the complete opposite - they didn't go to college, did drugs, and were just an all-around bad influence. However, I was confident enough in myself and I can honestly say that I never once did any type of illegal drug (marijuana did not count for me back then), but I did spend my fair share of nights and weekends watching people partake in substances I had only heard of from D.A.R.E.
One night in particular stood out from all of the rest. I hung out with three roommates, all of which were much older than I and all had some drug issues. One night, while running out with the boys to get something to eat, a car pulled up next to ours with two guys in it who were both around their age. They proceeded to roll down there window and ask us to do the same. The naive girl that I was thought they just wanted directions. Instead, they started screaming at my friends saying that they owed them money for some drugs (or something like that - I really don't recall the details). They threatened the guys with words and eventually with violence. My friend that was driving the car decided to try and outrun them - he ran red lights, weaved in and out of cars, and was driving way too fast for my comfort level. Yet, the other car stayed on our trail. At one point, the other car started bumping us with their care to try and either blow out our tires or to just run us off the road. I can honestly say that in that moment, I was completely terrified and I am surprised that I didn't poop in my pants out of fear (how's that for honesty?).


The boys were out of ideas, and fearing for my safety (since I was an innocent bystander), they started to freak out. Luckily, my street smarts kicked in and I instructed the boys to drive to a local movie theater, since at that time there was always a rent-a-cop on duty. A few minutes later, we were parked outside the theater and screaming at the cop that we were being chased in a violent manner. When the guys in the other car realized what we were doing, they immediately fled. We were safe!
Thank you rent-a-cop!
 I was too shaken up to continue to hang out with them, so I had them drive me back to my parent's house where I knew I would be safe. I found out later that one of the guys used to be friends with one of my friends, but I knew nothing more to the story, nor did I care to ever ask for details. The smart side of me would have noticed the red flag of my restaurant crowd, but the stupid teenager in my thought that there was no harm in continuing to hang out with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment