Sunday, July 10, 2011

Family Feud Fail

I absolutely love watching Family Feud, and was overly excited when I heard the news that the show was being taped in Atlanta for a few months, and jumped at the opportunity to attend a taping as an audience member. A group of friends and I registered to attend the Sunday, July 10th 2:45pm taping and were all excited to have a great day with lots of laughs and "good answers." However, we were wrong. 

After speaking with one of my friends who attended the taping the previous day, I was informed that her group was able to arrive at the venue a few minutes prior to the call time and get in no problem. So instead of our original plan to arrive an hour early, we decided on 45 minutes early. We also read on the ticket that there was a strict dress code and set of rules. Such rules were that you had to be 16 years of age or older, couldn't bring in bags, you had to dress nice (no jeans, shorts, flip flops) and there were certain shirts you couldn't wear (such as shirts that were plain white, striped, had obnoxious patterns or shirts with words or giant logos). I was also warned by my friend that you couldn't bring in your cell phones or cameras. 

We arrived 45 minutes before the call time, only to see a line filled with Atlanta's finest ghetto fab clientele. There was one woman in shorts with a bright yellow shirt and what looked like a holey sock on her head as a hat. Another woman was dressed in an obnoxious rainbow assortment of what she called an outfit. There were also a number of children around the age of 12. Clearly, these rules were not being enforced. The line was moving at a steady pace and everyone seemed to be let in until we were up to walk through the door. This was when the idiot intern girl taking tickets stopped at us and said they were out of seats. However, she was going to double check to see if her count was correct. At this moment, a group of 12 people showed up, cut us in line and walked in, no problem. Moments later, another two people arrived late only to walk through the door without any issues to meet their two other friends who were already inside. My friends and all were already about to call bullshit on this idiot intern chick when a group of 11 college kids walked up and were told they would get in since they had reservations. Oh, and two of them were wearing solid white shirts. 

The people in line behind us were all being pushed to the side and told to come back for the 5:45pm taping. However, we were "Shhhed" and told to stay where we were and we would be taken care of. So the five of us and five other people behind us stayed put while everyone else was turned away. After another 30 minutes outside, we were about to give up and go home when the staff member who shhhed us told us that we were part of the "overflow group" and would be sat in the balcony for the first show with an obstructed view, but we would be moved down to prime seats for the second show where we would take the place of the losing family team's guests. This sounded fair and promising so we went ahead in and waited on the side of everyone else in the holding area and took a seat on the floor with the fratastic kids, their dates and the other five people in line behind us. 

We had now been there for two hours with no sign of when we would be escorted into the makeshift studio. Thirty more minutes later, the idiot intern chick came out and started to seat people in what she thought was the order people arrived. Only the fratastic group was brought in first and given the first row. Then she started grabbing the people from the wrong side of the row. Eventually, someone spoke up when she told half of the second row of people that they wouldn't be getting to sit down in the normal audience area. Then the girl looked over at the ten of us sitting on the floor and asked what we were doing. This is when all hell started to break loose. 

One of my friends walked over to the idiot intern and  I quickly followed. We were both pretty heated that this moron didn't even know what her boss had told us and why we were off to the side. So, my friend proceeded to fill her in in front of the rest of the non-chosen group of angry people. The intern chick kept her fake, bitchy smile planted on her face and decided to just smile and nod at us. However, she wasn't the issue at hand. The group of other people behind us started screaming that they were there before us and they better get the treatment that we were told we would receive. The intern then promised them that they would have the opportunity to get on stage before us, which now pissed us off even more. We then asked the idiot chick to get us the guy who had given us the information outside. 

The main guy came back and basically changed his words and told us that there was a chance we would be able to be brought down to the main audience area on the stage, but only if the losing family had brought a lot of people with them. We asked him about the seats and he confirmed that we would be able to see everything except for one of the families, and that Steve Harvey would still interact with all of the people in the balcony. So we decided to stay. 

After being escorted upstairs, we quickly learned that nothing that we were told was true. Not only could we not see the one family, but we also couldn't see the answer board. Once the show started the pre-filming tests, we realized that we could hardly hear from our section, too. One of my friends described our section as, "It's like we snuck into the taping." This had officially turned into a waste of time. 

Halfway through the first show taping, two of our friends walked out. The rest of us stayed through the first show to see if we would be able to get downstairs, which of course we weren't. At this point, we decided to leave and find someone to complain to. Moments after we walked downstairs, the rest of our section followed us out. We found the guy who made us all of the false promises and expressed our frustrations with the day's events. In return he gave us a phone number and told us to call to reschedule another showing where we could get priority tickets (meaning we could be like the fratastic kids and show up at a set time and be able to sit in the front row). While we weren't happy leaving the set, we felt a little better that we at least received a make-good. All in all, it was a total failed day. 

Morale of the story - be prepared from here on out to have the day run by a bunch of morons since the head guy is officially done in Atlanta and is headed back to LA to continue his life of being a lying douchebag. Also, if you aren't one of the first thirty people in line or have a group reservation, don't be surprised if you get sat in the reject section, like us. We'll see if the number we were given is actually real or if the guy was just making more false promises to us to keep us quiet. 


  1. Same experience!!! They overbooked at the house of blues.. so the few of us that actually had tickets.. didnt get to go in because they didnt realize it was going to be such a small venue. the karaoke contestants could bring 3 family members so only family was allowed in and OCA somehow didnt plan this ahead of time. Someone obviously doesnt know how to do their job.... so they wasted everyones time and turned us away.

  2. Dont count on ur ticket actually meaning ur going to get in...

  3. Crazy... we got there at 2pm Saturday for the 2:45pm show and were around 30th in line and although it was all running late, it was extremely organized and the people were perfectly behaved. I think the morale of the story then is to go on Saturdays.