Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Product Fail: Croc Flat Iron

I am what you would call a brand loyal customer. When I find something that works well, I stick with it and don't stray to other brands or sway to generic products. When a product that I am loyal to fails me, I feel like I am being cheated on. This is what happened with the ceramic flat iron that I have been using and purchasing for the past two and a half years - the Turbo Ion CROC. If this was a conversation to be had a year ago, I would still be in love with this product. However, something changed with the quality and it didn't go unnoticed by myself or the public.
Buyer Beware!
Flat irons typically last over a year. So when my first iron stopped working after the one year mark, I thought nothing of it. I went online and happily purchased a replacement. However, what I thought was the same product was more like a crappy iron disguise as a quality one.

In the past year, I have gone through three CROC irons. Thankfully, Overstock is a great company and replaced the last one I had which broke after one month's use. Unfortunately, that replacement only lasted three months and is unable to be fully refunded. I called Turbo Ion Inc., which is the company that produces the CROC. I spoke with a very snobby women who told me that because I purchased my products on Amazon and Overstock (sites that I trust to get me the product at a better price), that she could not help or talk to me about my iron. She also told me that these sites tend to sell knock-off irons, which to me is a load of crap since these are two trusted brand named companies. Great customer service, huh?

What they failed to say is, "If you don't buy it directly from us, then we don't care what you have to say!"
After my fifth and final CROC died on me yesterday morning, I decided to call my hair salon, which is where I learned about the iron in the first place. I value my salon's product choices and recommendations greatly, so when the woman who answered the phone told me that they have had the same issues that I have with their CROCs, and no longer carry it I was convinced that this product had gone to crap. She informed me was that the product used to be great over a year ago when it was being manufactured and made in the USA. However, now it is being made overseas and the quality has drastically gone downhill. 90% of the CROCs they had sold were returned with the same issues that I had - the display screen had died; the iron wouldn't turn on; the iron would beep randomly three times and then shut off for no reason; and another issue that didn't happen to me - the cord would break off from the actual iron.

After this eye-opening conversation, I sent a message to the owner of the salon, who is a friend of mine, asking him about the CROC. This was his response:

"The crocs are a CROC of shit. I think every one we ever sold came back to the salon. The plates would fall out or the cords would break. Total waste of money. And cost us a lot in returns." 

This should mean something to Turbo Ion since this isn't some rinky dink salon, but rather a top salon in the coutry who prides themselves on their top styling products and extremely talented stylists.

I laughed when I went onto Turbo Ion's website and see in large font at the top of their page, "The 'CROC' brand has fast become the 'buzz word' for tools in the professional tool industry with a customer loyalty that is second to none!" Newsflash: in order to have customer loyalty, you have to not only make a product that lives up to the name, but you also have to pride yourself on customer service and take care of those products, no matter where they were purchased, when they do not function to the ability as promised. After all, it is YOUR name on the product, so it shouldn't matter where it was purchased. 

I wonder how time is saved when the product constantly breaks...


***After sending my blog post to TurboIon's Customer Service e-mail address (since they are the ONLY company not on social media), this was there completely unprofessional response:

You can write what you want, as our products are FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY. However, as stated on our website on http://www.turboion.com/policy2.html#015, Croc TurboIon does NOT honor any warranty/sale from www.sleekhair.com, www.ebay.com, www.amazon.com or www.overstock.com, as these websites are selling refurbished irons and are not an authorized or legitimate sale.

It is not our duty to ensure all customers do their homework on who is selling authorized products prior to purchasing our products. You should have called prior to purchasing from Overstock.com, since we would have told you they are an unathorized seller and sell KNOCK-OFF and/or refurbished products.

Perhaps next time before you go on a heated rant and demean companies, you should have tried to negotiate something.

Have a nice day!


Turbo Ion, Inc.6800 8th Street
Buena Park, CA 90620

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad I read this! I was going to buy a Croc but after reading this post there is no way I will ever give a company like this my money or support. Their reply to you is what absolutely, unequivocally pushed me over the edge. What a nasty company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I was just searching for a replacement cord for mine. I am so glad to read this. I have had mine for 4 years but the cord just broke off completely. I am a professional stylist and I will be informing all about these issues and refer them here. The company's response is completely immature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 2nd croc within 1 year just died. Both of them with electrical problems in the cord. Amazon wouldn't sell generic straighteners. The crocs are pieces of shit and they are just making excuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and my first one was from Walmart. Are they selling knock-offs too?

      Delete
    2. Yup, me too. I've had my Croc for 3 years, and never used it until this year. For the first 4 months, it worked fine (used it about 3x a week). Then I started noticing electrical problems in the cord (base) where the slightest "jangle" or slightest "swivel" of the based would turn itself off. Called Croc Customer Service and they blamed me for purchasing off Amazon and wouldn't help. Garbage!

      Delete
  4. My sister & I both bought this type of flat iron because my friend has had hers for years and years and still going strong. Both mine and my sister's broke within 6 months.. just turned off, and when turned back on kept heating up less and less every time it was turned on until it wouldn't reach past the number 69, but wouldn't even heat up to that degree because the plates were still as cold as before I turned the iron on.. After 2-3 mins of waiting for it to heat up "ERR" pops up and the iron turns off on it's own. I've tried restarting it, doesn't even restart the iron.. Worked great first month or two though!

    ReplyDelete